Sunday, February 1, 2015

Homesick


Throughout all the Superbowl frenzy and the inevitable Sunday afternoon laundry, I was able to read a book this afternoon.  Kate Klise's book Homesick kept me needing to turn the page.  I was anxious to begin reading it because the setting of her book is not too far from where I live and it's always fun to read an author's interpretation of where you live.  I feel that she captures a small town in the Ozarks fairly accurately.  



The main character in the book, Benny, lives in a small town.  He faces challenges just like all young people face, in his case, the impending divorce of his parents.  His mother leaves him with his father to strike out on her own, promising to come get him when she gets settled.  His dad goes a little crazy and switches from being a collector to an all out hoarder.  This causes concern for the townspeople.  The plot that continues follows all those challenges that young people will face when this type of dishevelment strikes a family.  The ending to this book is realistic and really captures what this area faced during a specific, memorable time in it's history. 

This book is also a good read-aloud and I plan on beginning it this week with my 3rd through 5th grade classes.  I know they will enjoy it as much as I did!  

No comments:

Post a Comment