Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Finding Balance in a Technology Rich Environment


Schools are challenged with balance.  I ask myself continuously, "What's the right balance between hands-on-written and book-in-hand experiences versus online programs to enrich curriculum?"  I think that district leadership in all sizes of districts struggle with this daily.  There are so many resources available like Khan Academy, IXL and Spelling City just to name only a few that I know our district uses.

As a school librarian, I frequently get caught up in what I know teachers struggle with.   What's the best way to help students obtain skills they may be lacking?  This weekend while looking at data and trying to make decisions about where to go next with my 5th and 6th grade students,  I figured out that as the librarian there is one thing I can provide them each day:  time and space to READ. 

There have been several times when I have provided links to a new online program I discovered or showed them something that I thought might help with their classes only to be met with "We've already done that in Mr./Mrs. X's class."  That is not a bad thing.  Although it might be frustrating for me, I have to remember that  I am not their math teacher or their English teacher.  I am their librarian.  The one thing I can provide them with each day:  time and space to READ. 

Another discussion that sometimes occurs is about how to include health/PE, vocational teachers  and fine arts in the scope of learning to enhance what the core teachers are doing.  After all, these teachers have many things they are trying to accomplish within their own programs.  But, I believe logic and communications skills are relevant to all classes no matter the subject area.  As a librarian I can speak to primary/secondary sources.  I can have students communicate through book reviews or book trailers.  And, I can have them read informational texts and discuss tables and graphs that they find in those books.  Most importantly, I can give them:  time and space to READ.

You may be catching on to a theme... 

The library has much to offer within a technology rich environment.  Librarians can point students to databases they might not know about.  We can assist with inquiry in all classes.  We can procure resources for teachers so they can spend their time planning implementation.  We can be a hub of learning.  And, we can even have an expansive electronic library that can be accessed through their devices when they have:  time and space to READ.

The rules in education seem to be changing all the time.  What's old becomes new again.  This test is piloted this year and that test will be piloted next year.  And, that could all change.  But, that is a blog post for another day.   Right now, I have the time and space to READ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment