Sunday, April 23, 2017

It's Sunday night.. Are you ready to go back to school? I am!

The year is slowly winding down.  There are four weeks to go in the school year.  I'm teaching summer school and so I'll be back to work the Monday, after the Thursday, of the last day of school.  Summer school s a wonderful way for me to extend student's reading adventure and also teach somethings that I am enjoy like sewing and cooking and theater, etc. And, it will be over by June 16th.  So, that leaves an entire eight  weeks of summer vacation left.  Yay!

I have big plans this summer!  Myself and a colleague are traveling to nerdcampMI in Parma, MI!  I can't wait to absorb information.  When I first became a librarian I sought out practical information about how to facilitate student learning about books in the library.  I knew all the practical stuff, but I wanted realistic advice about what books to purchase, what authors to follow, etc, etc, etc.  I found several blogs that were very helpful including nerdybookclub, sharpread, mrschureads, vanmeterlibraryvoice, and scholastic to name a few.   I can't wait to meet some of these authors and teachers in Michigan this summer.

I'm also going to travel to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum.  I've always wanted to go there.  When I first became a librarian her books had made a resurgence.  This year checkout has gone down a bit.  I'm hoping to find some inspiration to get them back in steady rotation again.

So,  I guess you could say that my vacation will be spent continuing my quest for more information to make the library the best it can be.  I want it to be better next year.  The middle school communication arts teacher and I are doing a book study on Donalyn Miller's The Book Whisperer.   She came in the library about a week ago and said that she was reading this book.  And my reply was, I'm re-reading this book!  We've decided to team up.  Makes sense.  Even though I'm a K-12 librarian, my most frequent clientele are 3-6 grades.  How can I make it better?  I'm always looking for information.

I hope you're planning for an exciting summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment