Monday, July 22, 2019

Through the years...


Recently I was interviewed with three other veteran teachers about how technology use has changed over the course of my career.  I pointed out that I could see three different timespans, for lack of a better word. 

When I first began to teach there were typewriters and computers in the business lab.  However, as a classroom teacher, I did not have access to lab time.  Students wrote papers by hand and maybe typed a final draft if they had extra time in business class or if they owned a typewriter or personal computer at home.   Readable handwriting was very important. 

After about 10 years or so, there were more computer labs in schools, but I didn't use them a lot because I was still teaching students how to use the library for inquiry.  Magazines and the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature was still the most convenient way to get recent information each month when the news or sports magazines were published.   Students were, however, able to type things more readily.  

Fast forward to the past five years and the increase in the use of technology has become exponential.  So much, so fast is the best way I can characterize it.   I view technology as a tool for teachers to use.  Some say that it will replace teachers.  I don't believe that.   I was a librarian for six years and lots of people talked about how ebooks would replace libraries someday.  That hasn't happened, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, or at all.  Students need to hold books.  Students need to talk to teachers.   

I am headed out to a technology conference on Thursday and there are so many sessions on the schedule to pick from.  I really had to think about how I am going to use technology in my classroom and if the programs or apps being advertised would truly fit my vision for this year.  I ended up choosing a session about the Digital Public Library of America, notebooking and using technology to engage all students.  Those three seemed most like what I can absorb and really put into use.  

My vision for my students is that we will read books together and independently, write frequently about the books we read, ideas we research and people we meet.  And, we will communicate face to face.  Legible handwriting will be important, again.  Technology will also fit in nicely, as a tool to aide us in our quest for knowledge.   My goal is for a well-rounded student who doesn't completely rely on technology to get through the day.  

The summer is winding down.  August 13th will be here soon! 



No comments:

Post a Comment